The objectives of the programme are to train Laboratory Technologists who can:
demonstrate adequate knowledge and understanding of the theoretical foundation of diagnostic medical Laboratory.
• show competence and to generate Laboratory results and to practice in the appropriate areas of specialization.
• easily show the ability to integrate current clinical developments into professional practice.
• demonstrate the skills to manage complicated Laboratory procedures and exhibit very high organizational ability.
• confidently apply acquired knowledge in entrepreneurship leading to the setting up of their private diagnostic centers.
Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSSCE), West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) The minimum requirements for admission of WASSCE and SSSCE and candidates to Diploma programme are three (3) credit passes in three core subjects and three (3) credit passes in three relevant elective subjects.
- SSSCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A-D) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language, Integrated Science and Mathematics, plus three (3) relevant elective subjects. The elective subjects should include credit passes in 3 science subjects, i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics.
- WASSCE Candidates: Credit Passes (A1-C6) in six (6) subjects comprising three core subjects, including English Language, integrated science and Mathematics, plus three (3) relevant elective subjects. The elective subjects should include credit passes in 3 science subjects, i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics.
- Advanced Level Certificate Applicants:
- Certificate holders in Laboratory Technology will be considered for admission to level 200 of the programme.
- Mature Applicants: Mature applicants must be other paramedics and nurses with State Registered Nurse (SRN), Registered Mental Nurse (RMN) Or Registered General Nurse (RGN) Certificates and Certificates. Candidates must have attained the age of 25 years or above with (5) credits in five (5) GCE “O” Levels or six credit passes in WASSCE/SSSCE subjects including English Language, Mathematics And Science, and must have three years relevant working experience in addition to passing an aptitude test and an interview. Successful applicants will be admitted to the First year
- Foreign Students: All foreign qualifications should be referred to the National Accreditation Board (NAB) for determination of equivalences and eligibility for admission to the programme (National Accreditation Board Act, 2007 [Act 744 (2(2b)]).
It should be noted that the American SAT, TOEFL etc. cannot in themselves be acceptable as entry qualifications into Ghanaian tertiary educational institutions.
Evidence of proficiency in English Language will be required in the case of applicants from non-English speaking countries.
Requirements for Graduation:
- Course Requirements; Student must pass all the courses per Miezah College of Health requirements.
- Credits Requirements; Student must pass all the Courses per Miezah College of Health requirements.
- To pass professional examination set by the professional body or affiliated institution.
- To pass Miezah College of Health examination set by the academic unit.
- Any additional requirements for graduation e.g. attendance.
- Student must attend a minimum of 90% of theory work as well as Practical work per Miezah College requirement.
Affiliation and Accreditation:
- Name of the Mentoring Institution to which programme is affiliated(where applicable):UNIVERSITY OF CAPE COAST
- Proof of programme affiliation to the Mentoring Institution: Affiliation Agreement Signed on 5th October, 2017.
A statement indicating that the proposed programme has the support of the following:
a. the relevant Board of the institution: Allied Health Professions Council
b. the mentoring institution (in the case of mentored institutions): University of Cape Coast (UCC)
c. the National Board for Professional and Technician Examinations(NABPTEX)(in the case of Higher National Diploma programmes by Polytechnics)
d. and approval for funding by the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE)( in the case of public institutions)
Public and Private sector institutions.